20 January 2011

Ask not challenge...

Fifty years ago today, President John F. Kennedy gave a great speech. In this speech he issued a challenge to all Americans. "My fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." 

Too many people are looking to the government for handouts. They get Medicaid, foodstamps, education... I agree that some people are in need and this is helping them but it needs limits. 

I was in line at the grocery store last week. I had my measly food due to the lack of money that I work very hard for. The lady in front of me had a basket full of steaks, chips, salsa, crappy junk food, etc. It wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't whip out a Lonestar card and pay for it all. Really??? 

I got to looking around online. According to the Texas Health and Human Services Commission:

You can buy food, seeds and plants at stores approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The seeds and plants are used to grow food for your household to eat.

You cannot use food benefits to buy:
          ○  Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco;
          ○  Any non-food items (For example, pet foods, soaps, paper
           products, and household supplies);
          ○  Vitamins and medicines;
          ○  Food that will be eaten in the store;
          ○  Hot foods.
 
It just isn't right. Here's an idea:

This was in the Waco Tribune Herald, Waco, TX  18 Nov 2010

**Put me in charge ...**

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star
cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for
50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese, and all
the powdered milk you can haul away.  If you want steak and
frozen pizza ..... get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to
get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal
ligations. Then we'll test recipients for drugs, alcohol,
and nicotine and document all tattoos and piercings. If you
want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke or get tats
and piercings .... get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a
military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of
repair. Your "home" will be subject to inspections anytime,
and possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV
or Xbox 360 .... get a job and your own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job
each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may
be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing
public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your
22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo
and speakers and put that money toward the "common good."

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights,
realize that all of the above is voluntary. If you want our
money, accept our rules.. Before you say this would be
"demeaning" and ruin their "self esteem," consider that it
wasn't that long ago when taking someone else's money for
doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self
esteem.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we
should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad
choices. The current system rewards them for continuing to
make bad choices.

Alfred W. Evans, Gatesville, Texas*

Mr. Evans,  I applaud your thinking and would love to have you in charge.

Leave my wealth alone... redistribute my work ethic!

No comments:

Post a Comment